Fighting winter gloom is no small feat. Over here, at Brigade, we lean heavily on citrus - the one bright (in-season) light in a sea of root vegetables. This citrus salad can be adapted to however you like to eat, add olives for some briney-ness, add avocado if you're #ketotarian, switch out bok choy for some fennel and you've added a complex flavor combination. Here's our favorite way to get some vitamin c, but try it your way, and don't forget to share with #joinedthebrigade !
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 Large grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 Blood orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- Navel or cara cara oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 Red onion, sliced thinly
- Jalepeno, sliced thinly
- Bok choy, sliced thinly
- Mint, minced
- Olive oil & red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- On a large platter, place a layer of your thinly sliced bok choy, then red onion
- Season your base layer with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper. It's important to season each layer, building flavor and complexity!
- Begin to place your different citrus rounds on top of your first layer, and season
- Add your sliced chili pepper and mint, then season your final layer